I’ve been thinking a whole bunch lately about goal setting and why the work sometimes and don’t other times. Did you see my previous post about goal setting and making them SMART goals?
Well, I’ve been thinking more about the “R’ one, and here is what I’ve changed it to:
- S – Specific – focused and well-defined, answers the 5 Ws (who/what/where/when/why)
- M – Measurable – use numbers – how much/many?
- A – Attainable – within reach and realistic for you, your industry
- R – Relevant – would make a difference in your business and should be a focus
- T – Time-Specific – there is a deadline that allows for a sense of urgency
I think that it’s really important for us to be sure that we are focusing on the right thing(s) in our business. It’s so easy to get distracted by the many many things that we could be doing. And yet it’s only useful if the goals we set and the actions we take move our business forward in the way that makes sense for us.
So my advice is to be sure to think about Relevancy as you set and revise your goals, and as you think about where to put your time each and every day.